If you want to relax and relieve stress with plenty of soothing pampering, you go to a day spa. But if you want something more than just massages and facials, a medical spa will be more convenient because it offers day spa therapies and non-invasive cosmetic procedures in a more relaxing setting. But while the procedures are non-invasive, some of the treatments a medical spa offers may have significant health risks, which is one of the reasons why you still need to find the right medical spa.
The treatments medical spas offer may differ. Some have specializations, too. Thus, it is vital to find a reputable clinic where you can get the best treatments at the most affordable price, and at the same time, ensure that you’ll be safe while under treatment.
- Research is important. You can ask family or friends for a recommendation. You can also visit the website of the Better Business Bureau. Sometimes it will help if you check the med spa’s website. For example, if you are looking for a medical spa in St Louis, you can use your favorite search engine to find it. Look for consumer reviews and see if there are consumer complaints. Avoid facilities that have red flags.
- Know the supervising doctor. The laws regulating medical spas differ from state to state; thus, understanding how the facility is managed is essential. In some states, the physician needs to be at the medical spa during its hours of operation. In others, the physician should be present only when there is a booking for particular treatments. Check if the doctor at the facility is on-call or on-premise. Although licensed estheticians perform most of the treatment procedures, a doctor is better equipped to handle complications. A med spa supervised by a board-certified plastic surgeon is your best option.
- Specialization. If you need a specific treatment, it is better to find a smaller med spa that specializes in it. You can be sure that you will get the proper attention and service since the facility has specialized in the treatment. It will have the right tools and products to perform the procedure. You may find that larger med spas also offer the same service, but you may not get the professionalism, skills, experience, and dedication from the staff that a smaller med spa provides.
- Request to see the doctor. It is not enough to know that a physician supervises the med spa. It is more important to understand that the doctor is present in the facility. The physician or physician assistant should check you before any treatment. In addition, you need to ensure that the facility has the required staff and that it is compliant with the laws and regulations imposed by your state.
- Check the persons who will administer the treatments. The requirements in this aspect vary. But keep in mind that estheticians can only perform non-medical procedures. However, all medical treatments, including Botox injections, should be done by a doctor, registered nurse, or mid-level medical practitioner.
You should understand the risks; thus, you should check the fine print carefully before signing up for any treatment. Moreover, you must check how they handle medical emergencies for your peace of mind and safety.