Nowadays lots of people around the world are concerned with their blood cholesterol level, as it is now well-known: cholesterol deposits on vascular walls and abnormally high levels of it lead to cardiovascular diseases. Deficiency in (bad) blood cholesterol can be even more dangerous, than high cholesterol level, claim Japanese scientists. They have found, that maintaining a low cholesterol level for a long time or decrease of cholesterol level significantly increase the risk of cancer, infectious diseases, Parkinson’s disease and early death.
Look, how important cholesterol in reality is:
- Cholesterol builds and maintains the cell membranes.
- Cholesterol contributes to the strength of the intestinal wall.
- Vitamins A, В, E, D and K are made from cholesterol.
- Cholesterol participates in the development of nervous system of babies and children.
- According to some researches, cholesterol acts as antioxidant.
- Cholesterol makes sex hormones.
- The lack of cholesterol due the use of certain drugs or diet can upset hormone balance.
- Cholesterol is secreted by glands in the skin to protect it from infections and micro-traumas.
I will not go into greater medical detail of why we need cholesterol and how it works in human body: our organisms need a certain amount of cholesterol every day to function properly. Cholesterol is not evil, it is essential for us, this is a fact.