Many people notice, that despite constant teeth brushing and chewing a gum their breath sometimes smells. And it is really important to have a fresh breath, if you communicate with other people. Nobody wants to talk to someone whose breath stinks and everyone has ever found themselves speaking with someone, whose breath was so bad, that it could wilt a flower. If your work is connected with other people, you really should pay attention to your breath. In this story I will tell you, why the breath smells and how to banish bad breath.
Why Does the Breath Smell?
Some people can still sometimes have bad breath, though they brush their teeth regularly, because the problem lies within their throat and tongue, but not only teeth. When the bacteria in the mouth lose access to oxygen, they emit smelly sulfur compounds. This happens, when you eat, or drink alcohol, or just keep your mouth shut for a long time (like when you are asleep). By the way, the same principle works by foot odor. And when one eats garlic or onion, their breath stinks, because they contain the same sulfur compounds.
Tips How to Make Breath Fresh
If you want to banish bad breath, the most important thing is to keep your mouth oxygenated. It can be done the following ways:
- drink water throughout the day,
- use oral rinse with chlorine dioxide in both the A.M. and the P.M.,
- chew on oxygen-rich vegetables, for example, parsley and celery.
This all will neutralize sulfur compounds and make your breath fresh.
General Recommendations for Oral Health
This is, however, not enough. Your breath will be fresh, only if you take a good care of your teeth. That is provided by the following easy steps:
- You should brush your teeth regularly using a good quality toothpaste and toothbrush. This process should last no less than 2 minutes.
- Then do not forget about cleaning your tongue properly, because after the day or food intake it is covered by a thin coat of film, which should be completely removed.
- Floss your teeth once a day after brushing, because some rests of food may remain between teeth. For this purpose you can also use an irrigator, which cleans everything out around and under your gums and between your teeth.
Other Tricks against Bad Breath
Here are other recommendations, how to get rid of bad breath, which are not well-known.
- Sugarless gum can also help against bad breath, but not only because it is mint and camouflages bad odor, but also because it stimulates saliva production. Saliva is your natural weapon against bad breath, it washes away food particles and bacteria and helps to eliminate bad odor. By the way, as saliva production slows at night, your breath smells in the morning.
- One more weapon against bad breath is cinnamon, because it decreases the bacteria in your mouth. It is good to chew a sugarless cinnamon-flavored gum.
- A slice of bread added to your daily diet might also help get rid of bad breath.
Chronic bad breath is called halitosis and should be treated. About 90 million people suffer from chronic bad breath. If it cannot be removed with the help of these hygienic steps, please, visit your dentist, because bad breath can be also caused by cavities, or decay, or periodontal (gum) disease, which can be diagnosed only by the dentist. But if even your dentist cannot find the reason of halitosis, visit a doctor, because even kidney or liver failure could cause bad breath.