The world is more interesting and varied than we think. Every day there is something new. Here you will learn 10 unusual facts about everything.
- Sean Connery was offered the role of Gandalf in the trilogy “The Lord of the Rings” and 15 percent of the world’s movie distribution fee, reaching approximately $400 million in total. The actor declined the offer, saying he “did not understand the script.”
- In 2009, a Hungarian connoisseur of art was watching the film “Stuart Little” with his little daughter when he noticed the picture by Robert Bereny in the background, which was thought to have been lost. It turned out that this painting had been bought as cheap scenery specifically for the film. Later, the painting was sold at an auction for 285.700 dollars.
- In 1980, American photographer Robert Landsburg filmed the eruption of Mount St. Helens, but at some point he realized that he would not escape. Then he packed his camera in a bag, put the bag into a backpack and covered it with his body to save the images for the researchers.
- The most densely populated area in the world’s history was the Walled City of Kowloon, a highly criminalized settlement in Hong Kong, practically uncontrolled by the government. In 1987, its population density was 1.255 million people per square kilometer.
- Deep beneath the Earth’s surface, the researchers have discovered a reservoir with more water than in all the oceans of the world combined.
- In 1916, the activists in the US tried to foist the adoption of an amendment to the US Constitution. The essence of this amendment was to vote each time the decision on the beginning of war had to be made. What’s the catch? Those who voted “for” would receive a summons to the army.
- In 2012, Japanese mathematician Shinichi Mochizuki presented evidence to the scientific community in favor of “abc conjecture”. However, the explanation was so complex and abstract that it proved too much even for Mochizuki’s colleagues. Until now, the validity of this hypothesis has not been confirmed by anyone.
- In 1983, several hundred builders set a world record – they built a house with three bedrooms in just three hours. Later the house was sold to the people who knew nothing about the history of its creation. It was a real nightmare: incorrectly stacked plates, leaking pipes and roofs, flaking walls, and falling doors.
- Microsoft has become the “cradle” for three billionaires and about 12,000 millionaires.
- Two fraudsters had sold a false picture of Francisco Goya for half a million euros and then it turned out that the money they had got for the “masterpiece” was fake too.
Do you know any other interesting facts?