Life is not so long. Today you are twenty, and it seems that you can do everything and that you have eternity ahead of you. You shut and open your eyes, and you are forty now. A half of what seemed easy and natural twenty years ago, alas, is not available at all.
Of course, every age has its advantages and opportunities. And it only depends on us how we use these opportunities. If we postpone everything, waiting for the right moment, bitter regret is sure to come instead. Therefore, we want to introduce you with a list of things that you should definitely do while you are young. Because later you will probably fail to do this.
- Think of yourself. If you do not take care of yourselves, no one will do this. Youth is the best and only time to follow your aspirations. Later, you will have so many responsibilities and urgent affairs that you will forget about your dreams.
- Enjoy simple moments. Walk more. Read great books for which you still have time. Chat with your friends without any special purpose. Value these tiny moments of life that seem natural now, but will turn into unthinkable luxury with time.
- Go hiking. Meet the sunrise in the mountains, try the taste of all the oceans, go skiing. Experience the beauty of nature and the actual size of our planet.
- Decide who you are. Each person is unique and has his/her own strengths and weaknesses. The sooner you understand them, the easier your life will be. Be proud of who you are and do not be afraid to show it to the world.
- Learn to focus on the present time. This is one of the most important skills that will help you enjoy life. We cannot change the past, we cannot control the future, so let’s focus on what surrounds us here and now.
- Stop worrying about what people think about you. Too painful attitude to the opinions of others is one of the signs of youth. Over time, you will acquire a protective armor, but it is better to develop a relaxed attitude to the opinions of others earlier.
- Be a positive person. Although young people have a positive view of the world, it often gets darker with time. Try to remember and keep this quality. Your success will depend on your attitude towards life, so it is better for it to remain positive.
- Get rid of negative relationships. In youth, we can easily mix and separate with people. The older you get, the harder it becomes to do this. So try to get rid of all the people in your surroundings who produce a depressing, irritating and negative impact on you as soon as possible.
- Travel. Most people want to go on a trip, but postpone it for the time when they stand firm on their feet. But when we get a family, children, work and responsibilities, we can no longer afford travelling. So do this right now.
- Learn a foreign language. Learning another language is like discovering another world. This skill will enhance your abilities considerably and may possibly change your life. Do not postpone anything because with every year we live new knowledge is more and more difficult to obtain.
- Conduct experiments. Youth is not the only one, but probably still the best time for experiments. Youth may find something quite natural, but for older people this will look absolutely insane. And it is not only about purple hair and tattoos.
- Create your inner circle. Each of us has people whom they can rely on in difficult times. As a rule, these are family and friends. We cannot choose relatives, but the quantity and quality of friendly relations depends only on us.
- Study. Ironically, teenagers think they know everything. Only grown up people realize that they know almost nothing. Therefore, it is important from an early age to develop the habit to learn something new every day. This habit will rescue you many times in future.
- Develop good habits. The entire course of your life will be based on the habits that are formed in your youth. Then you will find it very difficult to get rid of the bad habits and develop positive ones. So think of it earlier.
- Find your calling and start walking towards it. In Japan, there is a beautiful word ikigai that means “something that reveals the sense of life, something that makes us wake up every morning with joy.” The sooner you stop thinking about your vocation, the greater progress you will be able to achieve, and the happier your life will be. By large, all the stories about unhappy people are the stories of the lost and regained sense of life.
- Do exercises. It’s really good for your health. While we’re young and healthy, we may fail to see much reason in the exercises. Over the years, we feel we need them, but it is impossible for us to become involved in them. Do not waste time when young, and do not wait until your body starts to fall apart.
Although none of the ages is inappropriate if you want to start doing the right things, some actions are much easier to do when you are young. Do not waste your time; your life depends on it. Take action!