The scientists are alarmed: people began to move very little in the recent years. Walking on foot is neglected. Cars have significantly reduced human motor activity in everyday life. What will it lead to?
The experts from the World Cancer Research Fund have voiced their concern about the fact that people’s physical activity is reduced. In their opinion, this increases the risk of cancer and chronic diseases. The scientists studying cancer have called for moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day.
The experts called the development of automobile transport one of the reasons for the decline of physical activity. Walking is no longer popular. Modern people perform nearly two-thirds of all their movements by car. And even if they go on foot, it is only for a very short distance.
The British scientists have confirmed that only 41% of UK residents go on foot more than three times a week.
Dr Rachel Thompson from the World Cancer Research Fund says that, according to their estimates, more than 10,000 cases of breast cancer and colon cancer could be prevented each year, if the people in the UK had a more active lifestyle.
Of particular concern is the fact that people do not replace walking with some other vigorous activity. It means that the car is unlikely to be abandoned in the coming years. But it is worth thinking what can compensate for the lack of walks.
According to the statistics provided by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM):
- More than a half of American adults (56%) do not perform basic exercises;
- people spend 8 hours sitting
- 36% prefer to relax sitting or lying on the couch
- 40% of physicians and 36% of students in medical schools avoid going to a fitness club or pool
- the doctor, who lacks exercises, is unlikely to advise the patient increase physical activity: the doctors recommended only 34% of adults to move more.
Source of the image: Photl.