Neurosurgery is a highly specialized field of medicine. Professionals like Dr. Joseph Yazdi have spent many years training in order to be able to help those who have illnesses and disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system includes the brain, but also the spinal cord, spinal column, extra-cranial cardiovascular system, and peripheral nerves. In most cases, professionals like Dr. Yazdi work specifically with people who have had a traumatic incident to the nervous system, such as a stroke, an injury, or another form of traumatic event. A body that has experienced a shock of that kind requires specific medical interventions. A key element in that is pharmaceutical medicine, and another key element is surgery and other therapies. Unfortunately, all of these interventions come with significant side effects. As such, the body will require a lot more assistance in order to fully recover.
Nutrition is a key element of central nervous system recovery. It is very important that people who have had neurosurgery receive balanced nutrition, which consists of healthy protein, healthy carbs, and healthy fat. This can help them recover quicker from trauma to the brain.
What Are Healthy Fats?
Healthy fats can be found in a variety of different sources, including:
- Extra virgin olive oil, which is created through the first processing of olives. This means its nutrient content is as high as it can be.
- Bitter sweet chocolate, which includes at least 70% cocoa. While chocolate isn’t healthy, cocoa is. It contains high levels of important antioxidants. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the lower the percentage of sugar. If you can cope with chocolate that is 85% pure or even more, that would be even better.
What Are Healthy Carbs?
- Organic vegetables, as these do not contain any pesticides, herbicides, or other chemicals. If organic is too expensive for you, then make sure that you wash them properly. Eat them as fresh as possible as well, so only buy vegetables that you intend to consume that same day.
- Organic fruits, again sticking with the organic as much as possible. Dr. Joseph Yazdi particularly recommends citrus fruits like mandarins and oranges, as they contain high levels of vitamin see, as well as free radical fighting antioxidants.
What Is Healthy Protein?
- Wild animal meat, as these animals are truly free range and only eat what nature intended for them to eat.
- Grass fed animals, which contains healthy fat and healthy protein and is free from chemicals, antibiotics, and other nasty elements.
They say that “you are what you eat”, and that rings true. Essentially, if you eat good things, you will feel good and if you eat healthy things, you will feel healthy. This is particularly important if you currently suffer from a condition that has rendered you less than healthy, such as a problem with the brain. Should you have had neurosurgery, it is even more important to make sure that you give your body the right nutrition in order to help it recover.