Not only does scientific progress bring innovations and make our jobs easier, but, unfortunately, it also causes new diseases. Scientists provide sad facts about vision impairment, more spinal disorders and increasing cases of carpal tunnel syndrome that was rare in past years. This medical condition occurs when the median nerve is compressed at the wrist.
Who Suffers from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
While earlier it was mostly an occupational disease of typists and drivers, now the list of professions whose “owners” are affected by the syndrome has become noticeably longer. The risk group includes anyone who uses a computer on the job.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Basically, carpal tunnel syndrome develops because of wrong position of your wrists when you work. It is especially risky when you have to type all day long. Major symptoms are numb fingers and palms, swellings and even pains in severe cases. Hereditary inclination to possible changes in bones and joints contribute to the risk greatly. Of course, our body is able to adapt to various working conditions, but why put your health and performance at risk?
Massage to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Rub your palms and fingers together.
- Rub the back of one hand with the palm of the other.
- Interlace your fingers. Straighten your arms in front of you with your palms out.
- Self-massage starts with thumbs. Embrace the thumb of one hand at its base with the forefinger and the thumb of the other hand. Pressing the thumb, move slowly upwards, from the base to nail. Repeat four times. Then, massage the thumb of the other hand. Do the exercise for each finger, changing hands. When you finish, shake your wrists well several times and rub your palms together.
- Do the same motions as in the previous exercise but embrace your fingers at the sides and again move from the base to nail.
- Do the same for the other hand, but embrace your fingers at the sides and again move from the base to nail.
- Massage the knuckles of one hand with the thumb and the forefinger of other hand. Do the same for the other hand.
- Massage the centre of the palm of one hand, then – the other.
When you finish this self-massage, shake your wrists several times and relax sitting in a chair if possible.
How to Sit Correctly in front of Computer
Proper ergonomics in the workplace is crucial for the prevention of this condition and similar diseases. It is recommended that you keep your hands horizontal to the table’s surface. Never hold your hands higher than the elbows. In this position, the blood flows out of hands, which harms the tissues of fingers and palms. Also, painful sensations may be caused by poor blood circulation – as a result, the tissues get less oxygen and nutrients. You can also read the article about the correct posture when in front of your computer.
How to Maintain Hand Health
Wrong position of hands is also bad for the skin as our hand skin is very thin and contains little subcutaneous fat and collagen. These factors contribute to accelerated skin ageing, so apart from proper ergonomics, you have to apply nourishing creams with components that stimulate blood circulation.
What to Do if You Suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
If you failed to prevent negative effects and you feel unpleasant sensations in your hands, consult health specialists. The treatment for moderate carpal tunnel syndrome doesn’t involve taking medicines. Massage and exercises will solve the problem effectively. But serious cases require surgery aimed at freeing compressed nerve.
Beautiful hands are one of our female assets. Keep them healthy and good-looking!