Do you know what a highlighter is? Many of you will answer this question in the affirmative: “Yes, of course!” Some will say: “I know, but I’ve never used it”, while others may just shrug their shoulders.
So, here we do not address the first group which knows not only the meaning of the word, but also skillfully uses this cosmetic product. Instead, we will try to tell the remaining two groups about the highlighter.
This is a cosmetic product, designed to highlight individual parts of your face by lightening them. In other words, this is a corrector of your face relief, which will help you add the sculptural clarity of lines and hide the wrinkles.
This can be a highlighter of any formation: compact, creamy, liquid or crumbly. The color also has no clear limits: except silver and gold, there are multi-colored highlighters.
How to use a highlighter?
It is a kind of a magic wand for those who need to look stunning and whose face in the mirror does not reflect any freshness.
- The first thing against which we would like to warn you is that a highlighter is not a concealer. After all, many confuse highlighters with similar products and then get disappointed because of the results obtained. Highlighters do not mask the problem skin; on the contrary, they make the problem more visible. Therefore, those who suffer from acne or have enlarged pores should abandon such products.
- The effect of highlighting in a special way puts the right emphasis due to the action of light-reflecting particles and not due to the density of texture.
- A highlighter is applied to certain parts of the face, regardless of its shape.
- In order to check if the choice is correct, put the product on the hand with a brush and let it get absorbed: if you are completely satisfied with the tone and texture, proceed with application.
- Apply the product with short rubbing strokes. Start from the outer corner of the eye and gradually move to the inner corner.
Cosmetic tricks of the highlighter
- Applying a highlighter on the bones under the eyes will help to hide dark circles, giving the face a fresh, youthful appearance;
- Applying a highlighter above the eyebrows on the side parts of the forehead gives a person the right relief, visually making the forehead higher;
- Applying a highlighter along the side parts of the nose gives the right facial proportions, thus adjusting the shape of the nose;
- Applying a highlighter just above the eyebrows emphasizes their shape;
- Applying a highlighter above the upper lip gives the necessary volume and relief. To get more relief, draw a thin line along the contours of lips and lightly smudge it, applying the highlighter along the contour of the lower lip gives the needed volume. You can use the technique without further application of lipstick;
- Applying a highlighter in the middle of the upper eyelid on any eye shadow will give your eyes special “radiance”, visually increasing them.
The application being discussed, let’s move to the selection. Before you go to the store, do not forget that metal and pink shades are popular this season, along with the usual “bronze”. This rule applies to the highlighter as well.
And below you’ll find out what highlighter types there are.
A highlighter pen
A highlighter pen is a pen with a brush. It is very easy to use. It is usually offered in several basic colors.
- Pros: it is easy to place the desired shimmering accents around the eyes, on the chin, or under the eyebrows and outline the contour of lips.
- Cons: due to the small area of application, it is inconvenient to use it in those areas where you need more highlighting.
A liquid highlighter
A liquid highlighter is the light shimmering texture with a wet glossy effect.
- Pros: It is easy to apply on large areas of the face; it is ideal if you have a brush.
- Cons: it produces the “glossy” effect which is not always desirable.
Shimmering powder is a compact version of a highlighter. It is applied with a small brush for makeup which gives it a special glow.
- Pros: large volumes, it is easy to cover large parts of the face.
- Cons: the need for an additional brush, it is not recommended to ladies with an oily skin and wrinkles.
A compact palette
A compact palette is a compact combination of different shades of the highlighter.
- Pros: ideal for small areas. Possible variations of colors.
- Cons: the need for more brushes.
Shimmering balls are a rich palette of colored balls with light reflecting particles.
- Pros: large volumes, efficiency of use.
- Cons: the need for additional brushes; women with an oily skin should apply them on top of powder; shimmering balls cannot be used to delineate the contours.
A brush with crumbly powder
A brush with crumbly powder means shimmering powder inside the brush. Two in one.
- Pros: large volumes, efficiency of use.
- Cons: it cannot be used to delineate the contours.
A cream highlighter
A cream highlighter looks like shimmering powder on the skin thanks to its light texture.
- Pros: economy of use, a compact size; it can be applied anywhere on the face.
- Cons: a small volume.
There are many ways to give your face special expressiveness. A highlighter is one of these methods. Try it, maybe that’s what you’ve been looking for.